11/2/12

I only get ONE extra hour?

In the U.S., we will be enjoying one extra hour of weekend, due to the end of Daylight Savings time.  I could use four.

Okay, so I have to share a story from when I was a child.  It has no point and isn't going to go anywhere, but it was an anomaly in my family because my parents were especially "planful" and things like this practically never happened to us.  We got up that Sunday morning, just like every other week, and we had breakfast, and we got dressed up in our Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes, and we piled in the car, and we drove to the church. 

And, when we got there, there were no other cars in the parking lot.  I so wish I could remember whether my parents were able to laugh about that, like Rob and I would have, but just the memory of that empty parking lot has stuck with me.  Our church was near where my Mom grew up, not near where we lived when I was a kid, and that was a bit of distance to travel.  So, we waited in the church parking lot until people started to arrive.  But, the first people knew what we had done, and there was no hiding it.  I can remember them teasing my Dad.  But, they were all friends and it was all in good fun.  But, in my whole childhood, I don't remember that ever happening again.

I, on the other hand, was late to work twice on Mondays in the spring, when we lose an hour during the weekend.  I was much younger then and didn't have Rob to keep up with my clocks.  Now, he takes care of all that.  When we lose the hour, he does it in secret and I never realize it is gone.  When we gain the hour, we all celebrate.

So, I'm sitting at my desk this morning, waiting on my pc to power up, thinking about the day here at the office and about the weekend coming up.  And, I started to write down my project list.

Boy, I could use more extra hours.

I have gardening projects as the flowerbeds settle in for winter.  And Sydney needs basketball socks and an ankle brace.  I have got to do something about my sewing machine.  I've had no luck fixing the skips on the Singer 401 and the season is getting busier and busier and it may be time to just substitute in another vintage lovely and worry about that machine next year.  I need to make more Christmas tree blocks and I need to finish the quilting on the pink baby quilt and I plan to spend my extra hour making blocks for Erin's Hurricane Sandy relief effort (Thank you to my followers that headed over there and have also volunteered to make blocks!!  You guys rock!!) 

I went to the stash this morning and started pulling prints and cutting them into 7" squares.  I remembered that one of the things I did this year was get rid of all my floral prints.  I made them all into one quilt and gave it to a friend for her birthday.  They made a lovely quilt.  But, now, I have few flowers.  So, I'm substituting in some other prints and pairing them with prints that read as solids and it's all going to work out.  I cut enough for a half dozen blocks this morning and will get a few more minutes to cut this afternoon and as soon as I get a working sewing machine set up, I'll get started piecing them.  I've been thinking I might stay up late tonight and just cut fabrics.  Or, maybe we'll have pizza for dinner and I'll spend that time cutting out squares.  Who knows.  Somehow, I always manage to find the time to get everything important done. 

Did you know that the hook in the bobbin area of your machine is sharp?  I decided I'd stick my finger down there this morning and let the machine run, looking for barbs in the shuttle area.  And, I got quite the little cut on my finger as that hook went past and tried to take my finger with it.  Just goes to show you, you should deal with heavy equipment before coffee.

I'd have shared a picture, but the sewing room is in a state of vast disarray again.  And, I cannot tell you how that happened.  I just went in and looked around and suddenly realized I was going to have to spend time cleaning before I can spend time doing anything else.

How does clutter happen? 

And why does my 15 year old keep stealing my light box?  What the heck is she working on in there after I go to bed?

Lane

4 comments:

sewfunquilts said...

Hi Lane.

Love the way you write and hope you get your 401 fixed, as that model is great for piecing. I had one for over 40 years & gave it to my grand daughter.

Clutter?? I don't even take pictures to share in my sewing room anymore..lol

I wrote a post today too about the quilt blocks.
http://sewfunquilts-sewmeow.blogspot.com/2012/11/quilt-blocks-for-sandy-victims.html

Have fun sewing them. You're ahead of me, as I haven't cut fabrics for them yet. Have to clear a place on my cutting table..


Michelle said...

I do hope you figure out your skipped stitches. Here is what my friend Elizabeth found on a machine with skipped stitches she was working on.

http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2012/11/skipped-stitches.html

Vesuviusmama said...

Lane, your followers DO rock! I have had so many people comment or email me today who said they heard of my effort through LANE! Thanks! I'm quite amused by you sticking your finger in the bobbin case...glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly. I'm very curious about the lightbox; when her secret project comes to light (couldn't resist), you've got to let us know what she's doing. And I'm spending my extra hour sewing, too! Have a great weekend!

Carla said...

I'm glad your finger didn't get it too bad. Now didn't your momma teach you not to stick your fingers in a sewing machine or other machines when they're running. I bet she did... LOL
Sorry don't mean to smile at your pain.
Have a great day!