7/25/13

Summer garden

Okay, so you better enjoy these pictures, because we’ve had the last of the rain and temps will consistently be around 100* (or higher) for the next 6 weeks.  My garden will suffer through it.  But, it won’t look this good again, until fall; barring some unforeseen climate change created rainfall.  (Please send a category 1 hurricane to sit over Austin for 5 days.)

003

The Echinacea and some more phlox in the background.

004

The spiky orange thing below is Pride of Barbados.  I grew it from seed.  It is three years old and is blooming for the first time this year.  It was also moved from its pot into the ground this year.  It was about 18 inches tall when I put it in the ground.  That flower spike is at about four feet.

006

This is my glider area.  I can sit here and look back at the house.  Look at all those pink caladiums.  I’ve never had caladiums grow like that. 

008

Below is part of the green bed.  This is the best time for the green bed.  It looks lush and shady and inviting all through the hottest part of summer.  But, it’s deceptive, because in the shady spot created by each leaf lives a mosquitoe that will zoom out and get you if you forget your citronella bracelet (Thanks, lw.  That was the absolute best idea and we are loving the convenience of it.)

012

And, the swamp lily is starting to bloom.  This adds great green shape with the sword shaped leaves, but doesn’t bloom too much or grow out of control in the shade.  The one I moved to the neighbor’s bed that gets full sun is covered with red spikes and blooms now.

013

And, this is not in my yard.  This is an example of yarn bombing that we saw in Eureka Springs and I couldn’t help but get a picture of it to share.  It’s the first bombing I’ve seen.  Thinking my trees might like some of this?  Oh, I don’t know.  Seems kind of humiliating for the tree if I think it needs more decoration, somehow. 

001

It was on a tree, down the street from Ermilio’s Restaurant.

Still enjoying the relaxed feeling that should come from the end of a vacation.  So far, people at work have not been able to fluster me.  Let’s hope it stays that way.

But, I’ve been busy as 3 armies, trying to get caught up.  Plus, we’re at that stage of teenage-hood when she will literally sit in her room all day and do nothing, if we let her.  She won’t even get up to go to basketball camp and work on her leg strength.  If she won’t do something she wants to do, I’m not going to be able to motivate her.  I’m ready for her to have a job.  So, I give her a few chores everyday.  Every thing I can think that needs to be done before I leave for work.  And, this week, she’s doing all the dishes in the evening.  I just love ignoring all the grumping and complaining.  I just sit there and sew hexies together.  Today, she’s giving the outside of the grill a bath.  I tossed that one at her as I was closing the bedroom door to change last night.  That way, I didn’t have to hear the grousing and complaining. 

Be well.  Have a great Thursday.  I have not pin basted the sitter’s quilt yet.  I am a very bad, very delinquent, very tired boy.  Lane

3 comments:

lw said...

Your garden is so pretty-- I love the colors, and I love the "green" bed.

I can't make head or tail out of the yarn-bombing. Some militant strain of crafting? Higher-degree of difficulty graffiti? I can't imagine making a tree-cozy.

Maybe Syd is having some post-vacation depression. The only thing I've seen work for that is something else to look forward to and work for. At that happens to folks of all ages.

Hazel said...

I look forward to your post everyday ,love the photo's of your yard it's so welcoming , I could just sit in your glider for hours .
Sydney is just a normal teenager I don't think I seen my teenage children for about 3 years LOL Thank God they are grown adults now .

Elizabeth said...

Your garden is gorgeous. Your glider area is my favorite.

xo -E