7/10/12

Get stuff done

I have nothing quilty to offer today.  I wish I did.  I have quilting on the brain.  But, I don't have quilting on the clock.  I just can't seem to find any time.  I get up in the morning and read/write blogs, then I squeeze in a workout, feed the kid and drop her at camp, come to work and earn some pay, go home and cook.  Then I collapse.  I mean collapse as in, I can't even think, I'm so tired at the end of the day. 

I have the dresden plate quilt almost assembled and now I need to re-cut and sew the wedges for the borders, but I can't seem to get excited about that. 

I'm on the last round of the final border of that thread crochet placemat.  I've worked on that until the arthritis in my left pointer finger is aching.  But, I'm so close that I can't resist working on it a bit every day.  (I promise, Cynthia, that I will share the pattern).  I know I said I was going to make 4 of those placemats.  NOT!  That thing is hard and has taken longer than I expected.  I don't see me doing it three more times.  At least not in that boring brown color I picked.

The red silk quilt is pulled out, but I'm about out of thread and don't know whether to keep waiting on the LQS to get it from backorder or just order it from the manufacturer directly.  I've found it online.  I'll be in a pickle if the manufacturer is also out of stock and I can't get more in time.  I can just see me, bleary eyed, finishing the quilt after an all night quilting session, an hour before the deadline to drop it off for the show. 

And, I bought a new knitting book with ideas for guys and have a new big bag of sport weight merino wool yarn that I found in goodwill for $4.  I'm anxious to put those together and make a pair of gloves and a pair of slippers.  But, NO NEW PROJECTS UNTIL I FINISH SOMETHING.  And, I'm gonna stick to that. 

I may have to take a day off work and just spend it on myself, doing whatever I want to do.  Not that I don't do whatever I want to do most of the time. 

You know, what I really need to do is something for somebody else.  That always helps.  And, I need to stop watching the news.  But, when the daily roll call of the rediculous comes on, I can't stop myself from sitting there and being disgusted.

----------------------

Interesting interchange with Sydney after a long discussion, during which I was trying to get a good night hug
S:  I'm not three years old anymore.  Don't you think I've outgrown hugs?
Lane walks to the sewing room to ponder this question.
L, in a growly voice:  No, I don't think you've outgrown hugs, and I certainly haven't.  Now get your butt in here and hug me. 
And amazingly, this morning, when I was dropping her off at camp, she voluntarily gave me a hug.  Of her own accord.  Without me even asking for it.  Nobody ever outgrows a hug.

Lane

4 comments:

Kath said...

Nobody ever outgrows a hug.

never a truer word Lane.

Did you ever get sent the "Parents job description" when it was doing the rounds. Very amusing.

Unknown said...

Lane, you always have a way of making me smile. Thank you for mentioning me in your post! (At least I think it was me!) Now I know you really do love me. I am thinking we should get rid of our partners and spend the days quilting and cooking and discussing how our children make us crazy (although we love them to the moon and back) I know you and you will get it all figured out and get back on track soon! Be patient with yourself!

Piece by Piece said...

I agree, you are never too old for a hug.
Lane, sounds as if you have "after vacation, back the daily grind" blues.
Hugs
Patricia

Elizabeth said...

Grasshopper, my 12-almost-13-year-old-boy is all about the hugs lately. I love it! I love that he's not too cool for his mom and not too cool for a hug and especially not too cool for a hug from his mom in public. He hugged me in front of all the other boys when I dropped him off for scout camp and that totally made my day.

I'm glad that Sydney gave you a hug of her own free will and hopes she continues to give them to you. They make a nice cushion in between the parenting moments that aren't so fun.

xo -E