12/17/09

Hoodwinked by a scoundrel.

My daughter ran a con on my this morning, apparently taking advantage of my gullibility this holiday season. She got me to take her to school so she didn't have to wait for the bus in the rain and cold. On the way, I found out she couldn't find her umbrella. Oh, brother! And, I fell for it hook, line and sinker, even rushing to get all my stuff done and giving up my few minutes of quiet meditation before I leave for the office so I could get her there on time. Sucka! But who could resist those big, brown, puppy-dog eyes.



Anyway, that meant that I didn't get the chance to post a picture for Vintage Thingies Thursday, but don't let that stop you from cruising on over to Suzanne's blog to see her great vintage ornaments and the other items linked there.



I also pre-ordered my copy of Bonnie Hunter's upcoming Book Adventures in Leaders and Enders. I have thoroughly enjoyed the leader/ender project I'm working on. If you're not familiar with the process, you can go to her website Quiltville.com to learn more about it. If you scroll down from this link, you'll find a scrappy triple irish chain. That's what I picked as my first one. I'm making a queen sized bed quilt and I've got over half my blocks pieced, using the leaders enders method on every step. It takes a long time and it didn't work out too well when I was paper piecing, but other than that, It's a great way to make a quilt without even thinking about it and using up small scraps. The hardest part for me has been cutting all my scraps to the sizes I need. I don't have all the sizes Bonnie cuts to, but I am collecting various size HST's and 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2" squares, all for use as leaders and enders.



I'm still quilting feathers. By the end of this project, I'm either going to be an expert at feathers or completely insane. The issue I've run into now is that if I'm not paying close attention, my loops get really big and start to fill the space. That would have been fine if I'd planned that from the beginning, but I was trying to get them to all be a standard size so I have to be careful to keep it that way. Anyway, for a bed quilt, the feathery quilting and the very mature prints are going to be perfect for a girl that's on that precipice between little girl and young woman.

Since I didn't take a new picture for the day, I dug way back in the archives for this little snowman. He's a holiday UFO, like the island of misfit toys. He was a very early piece of fusible applique and I apparently used the wrong fusible, so he's stiff and I never tried to quilt him. I really should get to it because he's cute as a button. But, he got forgotten until we pulled out a pile of holiday quilts and there he was, buried in the middle and too late to finish this season. Oh, well. I laid him across the back of a chair and there he waits, big smile and all. After the rush, maybe I'll finish him and put him our for the winter. That's probably as close to snow as we'll get.





Take care and have a great Thursday. Lane

4 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

I'll be ordering Bonnie's new book, too. Believe it or not, one of her quilts from her last book is my current Leader/Enders project. Finish up that snowman! He deserves to be out and about.

My name is Riet said...

That is a lovely snowman. Maybe you still can find the time to finish.

Shirley said...

Ya gotta love kids. When I caught on with my son once he said "Well, a kid's gotta try" *LOL* As the country song says "You're gonna miss this one day."

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Love the snowman, please do finish him. I am glad you took your daughter to school. I wouldn't want to wait for the bus in the nasty weather either.