11/26/10

Pink Friday...

Only for Bonnie Hunter would I get out of my house on Black Friday. Not for nobody else.

But, her mystery calls for pink and that's the only color...and I do mean the only color, I don't really have in my stash. All I had was leftovers from a baby girl quilt I made a couple of years ago and they went fast. So, this morning, I got out and braved the absolutely terrifyingly bad drivers and the crazy people that were piling carts full of stuff that wasn't really on a very good sale, and went to get pinks. Now, I won't be able to say there's no pink in my stash anymore.


Well, at least it isn't black friday for me, even though I have figured out that the only thing wrong with Christmas is the gift giving. If we just had the tradition of exchanging boiled eggs, dyed red. Or something else as wonderfully inane. Maybe the gift of Chocolate turtles. But, noooo. We're expected to give the perfect gift that will inspire people to speak of it for generations to come. A gift that will be hailed in the annals of time as the most wonderful and appropriate gift, given since the birth of the holiday's namesake.
Grrrrr. If it wasn't for the ham, I'd opt out.
Lane

9 comments:

Coloradolady said...

I agree.....no black friday shopping for me....not worth it...but if I was going to get some fabric, well...that would be another matter all together!!! I have some triangles to cut and sew today!!!

Shevvy said...

It sounds like hell - sales shopping is a total no no for me. And all that for pink! Pink! Somehow and I surprise myself saying this, but I seem to have a lot of pink in my stash. No idea how that happened as its not for me.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm not a pink person myself, but you have picked some great ones! I'm saving Bonnie's pattern, but have too many irons in the fire to sew along. Can't wait to see yours.

Billie

Becky said...

Nice selections! Glad you got back home in one piece. No Black Friday shopping for me either!!

Elizabeth said...

I'm feeling a bit bah humbugish this year too. In years past (waayyy past) I used to get my shopping done in August or September -- no crowds to worry about. Over the years, my shopping habits have changed based on the paycheck trends, but never, in the history of ever, have I been out on Black Friday to get a spectacularly wonderful deal. I hate all the mayhem. I'd rather do things at my own pace. Some retailers are catching on to this and putting web-only sales up during the week before Thanksgiving and I really like that idea.

You also hit the nail on the head about 'the perfect gift.' Ugh. No pressure at all.

xo -El

lw said...

You hit it on the head. I'm not bah humbug, but I would gladly exchange the gift giving for the red eggs. Gladly. Because the pressure is something none of us need. Gifts should be given when you come across something perfect-- with no date or time specified.

Well, no more dreamland, I've got to go get something done.

Anonymous said...

I don't think some people realize the pressure gift-giving puts on others. I thought that I had it solved one year by putting in my Christmas cards that I would not be giving or receiving gifts. If someone thought that they had to do something for me, I suggested that they donate to a charity the amount of money they were going to spend on my gift. That lasted a couple of years, but the gift-giving has slowly resurfaced - and I feel pressured once again.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents in on that subject.
cindy

SubeeSews said...

I so like the idea of a red hardboiled egg as a gift. How can we get this movement started????
Love your pinks...and get a look at the back of your red fabrics. They may read as pink...
XOXOXO Subee

joana said...

Tambien yo estoy siguiendo el Mistery quilt de Bonnie. Sus rosas me parecen muy bonitos.