12/24/11

On the leventh day of Christmas

I devoted the day to me.

Rob and I went shopping this morning, before most stores opened. Just the two of us. Much laughing and having fun. We went to the grocery for the last couple of things I needed for tomorrow and a new food processor...Merry Christmas to me! Then, back to half price books for a couple of quilting books I decided in my sleep that I had to have. Then to Goodwill, where I got myself another covered project box. Love those. Great place to collect fabrics,tools and pattern until I'm ready to make a quilt. And, we each found a shirt. I found a great Christmas green linen shirt that is definitely going to be the ta-da for tomorrow.

And, then we came home and I decided to bake. So, out came the big mixer. Heavy lifting, both figuratively and literally.



And, the cookbooks.



I started the vegetables for tomorrow. Rob loves carrots in a tomatoe sauce, called Copper Pennies and they need to sit overnight. I used carrots from my garden. All the carrots I got this year. There weren't many, but they were very sweet and tender.

And, I made an apple pie. And, my friend Cathy's grandmother's Piping Hot Potatoe Rolls that are rising now. That will be rolls for tomorrow and dough to make monkey bread or bubble bread or pull-apart bread or whatever they call roll dough, rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar and layered in a tube pan with a handful of pecans in your part of the world. That will be our early morning snack before brekie in the morning while we open gifts.



And, a batch of shortbread that's chillin' in the fridge.







Oh, and about that pie. Well, it's chillin' now, too.






Just finished crying from It's a Wonderful Life and now it's time to go do the dishes. Yippee. Then, it's just sitting and finishing a bit of wrapping and if I get the time, I'll finish Sydney's zebra pants and she can wear them tomorrow. I got almost done this morning, but still need to add the elastic and hem the legs.

No cooking for supper. Rob brought home our annual tamales. Tamales are a Mexican Christmas tradition and you guys know that we try to honor every tradition we can. They don't have to be ours to be good.




Yeah! dishpan hands. And, yeah! old traditions. And, yeah making a pie, not because we don't already have a pecan pie in the house, but just because Rob asked for it and when I tried to weasel out of it yesterday, he took the disappointment so well. So, nothing to do but make it for him with a happy grin. Sometimes I just need permission to not work too hard to give me just that bit of incentive to "heavy lift".






Nowe, it's the old familiar A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart. Great movie to wash to.






Lane
















8 comments:

Michelle said...

Merry Christmas, Lane. Your pie is too pretty to eat! It looks like you appliqued those apples right on it!

qltmom9 said...

I love that good attitude!

scrappy101 said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Love the Goodwill for great finds. Working on a vintage jumper for my daughter, used an older pattern and although she is a size 8 and the pattern is size 10 it still came out a little tight in the arm-holes. Well chalk it up for experience.

Coloradolady said...

Merry Christmas!!! I hope you have a wonderful day and a great time making memories!! Your pie is fantastic looking!! :o)

And....my NY resolution, well one of them is to make it to Austin soon...and lunch with three of my favorite Austin-folks......for sure!

Kath said...

Merry Christmas and seasons greetings from damp old England!

Lady of the Cloth said...

What a beautiful pie. You should be proud. Mine always taste terrific, but ugly. Merry Christmass

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a nice lead-up to Christmas. Your apple pie is gorgeous!

xo -E

Vesuviusmama said...

Great movie choices! I cried at It's A Wonderful Life this year, too, just like every year.