12/14/11

The quilt

You know the one. The holiday quilt. All wrapped up in bows. It's really a small quilt. I wouldn't want to do this kind of quilting on anything much larger. It started at 42" square and ended at 41 1/2. That's pretty good, I think. I could certainly see how a quilt could shrink more, just from all the thread.

Haven't washed it yet. I won't put it in the washing machine. Wouldn't do much good as it's quilted so densely that it won't really get wet or be soft like the washing machine needs. I'll lay it in the tub....after cmas. That and snip any leftover threads.



I think my favorite thing about the quilt is that the quilting didn't distract from the pieced top. All the time that I was quilting it, my focus was close-up. I only saw the quilting and the colors and fabrics melded into a solid in my eye. But, when I was finished and looked at it from a distance, I could still see the original quilt top.





















And, the back. I used a cute holiday card print on the back, and just like the front, I thought it would be distorted, but I can still see the cards in the print.








I am so happy with this quilt. It's great when it all comes together.

-----------

Technical details - I quilt on a 25 year old Bernina 930 that is an almost silent workhorse. All metal inside, all I have to do is give her oil and she'll do anything I ask. I don't quilt at a very fast speed; just fast enough to keep up with my hands. It's not a race. I used a new thread this time and I liked it. I used a Coats and Clark machine embroidery thread, 40 wt, 100% poly on the front and on the back, Coats and Clark machine quilting cotton, 50 wt. I am always going to prefer cotton thread because it is easier to pull and I rip a lot. Using cotton in the bobbin, I can pull threads from the back and it's a whole lot easier than trying to pull two poly threads against one another. Size 80 Schmetz universal needles. Supreme slider. Two magic genie bobbin washers in the bobbin to make my bobbins fit the bobbin case better. Quilting gloves, but only when my hands are dry. I don't like the gloves because they restrict my fingers and I can't thread a needle...anything with thread is harder in gloves. So, if I'm hydrated, I don't need them. And, if I'm all dried up like a prune, I use them.

Okay, so we're trying to get our rears into holiday gear. There is not one gift wrapped. Not one card sent. Neither Rob nor I are in the holiday spirit and Sydney is still kid enough to be absorbed in the presents. Tonight is my holiday party. I need to get to work early to help train a new co-worker.


I'm watching TV and there's a commercial with people celebrating what they've completed for the holidays. Fist pumping the air and shouting "Done!" as they complete things on their lists. They suck.


Have a great Weds.

Lane

23 comments:

Spice said...

Congratulations! It looks outstanding on your wall and the close-ups of the quilting.......... just wonderful!!!

Becky said...

LANE!!! Promise me you will enter this quilt into a show somewhere!!!! Do it!!! It is a masterpiece in my opinion. I'm your biggest fan.

I haven't wrapped a thing or sent a card yet either. My attempt to get photo prints of the 4 grands to enclose in them is a story in itself! I have been acting like I have another month! Bleh.

Enjoy the holiday preps (don't work yourself to death, lol).

Love you! Becky

Paul said...

I'm impressed Lane. That quilt is beautiful. It's cool to see it finally on a wall. I always enjoy watching a piece come together and then get to see it in use.

I hear on you on the "They Suck" comment. It's funny, I saw a very similar commercial and had the same thought. For me it was the WallyWorld commercial where the mom asks the sales person to read her list, and he replies, "It's all crossed off." And she snottily replies, "BooYAH" or some goofy thing.

Normally, I have cards addressed, signed and ready to mail at this point. This year, I haven't even bought any cards yet! This weekend's gonna suck...

Merry Christmas to you Lane, and to Rob and Sydney as well!

Paul

Elaine said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors you used. And I agree -- you need to enter this in a quilt show for all to see.

Coloradolady said...

I agree this is a quilt show "show stopper" in my opinion. Don't wash it....enter it in a show and see what happens! It is amazing.

And I agree....those people suck big time. I have so much to do. Oh. Well. guess it is time to do something!

Laura said...

I am in awe of your machine quilting! You really do need to enter that one in a show. Your hanging sleeve is already done, so you are ahead of the game there.

I agree about how quiet the old Berninas are. My son has an 830, and it is so quiet, you can talk on the phone and sew at the same time. I love my 1260, but it is loud!

Linda in TX said...

Your quilting is gorgeous Lance. In the second photo (an overall shot), you can clearly see the quilt pattern and the fabrics and the colors. But you just as clearly see the trees and the packages and the Christmas ornaments and the lights. That's amazing that you have been so successful that you have created a green on green "print" as well with your quilting. Be proud of this! It's quite an accomplishment!

Frog Quilter said...

Awesome quilt. Don't worry you are the only one NOT in the Christmas Spirit.

Patricia said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I like so many of the other's who commented, are in awe of your quilting---and all freehand! Maybe one day!

Not in the spirit yet either---but I know it is coming---it has to---I have 5 grandchildren here who plan to go to bed at 4:00 PM on Christmas Eve to hurry Christmas :c)

Shevvy said...

I can't decide which corner I love best, first I thought the trees, then I saw the close up of the ornaments... its really wonderful, you should be very pleased with it.

lindaroo said...

Your holiday quilt is really a jewel! The distance shot shows how the piecing pattern really sparkles, and the design looks very sophisticated. The close-up shows the delightful details of your quilting artistry. It outshines your Christmas tree!

Deb said...

Your quilt and quilting are absolutely gorgeous.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It looks incredible! So pretty! I've loved following along as you quilted this and it looks so fab hung up like that :)

lw said...

I'm with the others-- please put this quilt in a show! I'd love to see this in person and I know there's thousands of other quilters who would, too.

Laura said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm in awe of your skills. I'm fairly sure that I'd never be able to do that.

And I totally understand. We just got the tree put up Monday, and the Crechés and stockings hung yesterday. Nothing is wrapped. I usually do handmade gifts, but they're not happening this year--I just caved and went shopping. I'll still make the gifts I planned on making... just after Christmas. I'd forgotten how hard it is to get sewing done with an infant in the house, and I've been catching one illness after another for the past two months! I'm thinking that if I'm lucky, I'll be able to finish the girls' dresses and what my SIL enlisted my help to make as a present for my brother. That's it. No hat-scarf-mitten sets, no quilts, no handmade toys.... *sigh* Next year, I'm starting in July!

Elizabeth said...

Lane, that quilt is amazing! I have loved seeing it come together and the finished product is a huge WOW! I love your corners and the fact that you can see the quilt design through all the quilting.

I know you counted. How many hours and yards of thread did you put into this?

Simply amazing.

xo -E

Anonymous said...

You did an outstanding job on this quilt. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.
cindy

http://thankfullga447 said...

You need to enter this quilt, you were so calm about doing the quilt and it came out perfect. I would have been a wreck.

Pauline said...

You have done an outstanding work of art. Do enter it in a show and insure it for a couple of million dollars! I'm inspired again to get more serious about my FMQ. I wasn't going to make another top until I saw and got hooked on Bonnies "Orka Bay." But that's the last one until I quilt a few. I really enjoy your blog.

Marla said...

Lane, this is gorgeous! Love the detail you put in the corners! Wow. You humble me.

Andra Gayle said...

absolutely lovely! And,don't worry, you will get the holiday stuff done. I just have about 10 projects to complete next week once school is out. I buy almost all the gifts through Amazon too, that helps. Take care!

andsewon said...

I am in love with this quilt Lane! Beautiful! Your quilting is outstanding!
Still trying to get Christmas motivated here also. Going small scale decorating this year. Too many other things going on. Enjoy your party!
Lola

Birgit said...

Found your blog by chance - just in time to admire this wunderfull quilt!!!
Happy x-mas from Germany to you
send Birgit