6/10/13

My first quilt bee meeting

I’ve hosted bees before.  A group from work decided to hand quilt a baby quilt for a co-worker and the first couple of quilting bees were at my house and a few people showed up and we quilted and laughed, and after a couple of meetings, they wanted to meet at a more central place, so we moved to an empty office at work.  Sans all my home made goodies and snacks.

But, this was my first ongoing, organized bee meeting.  There were about a dozen ladies that showed up and me.  I brought hand work and a few others did as well.  But, most folks were on their machines.  We met for four hours on Saturday and the bee doesn’t have a main project or anything they’re working on.  Everybody brings they’re own project and they sit and talk and sew and sew and talk and eat and drink coffee and tea and sew and talk. 

After I got there and knew better what to expect, I wished I’d taken something on the machine so I could show more progress, but that’s okay.  I didn’t get much done and I had trouble with the thread I took trying to knot up and break on me.  But, I did accomplish some things and I got the chance to show off my quilts that ribboned in the show last year and it seemed that everyone had a great time.  I left feeling like I talked more than I sewed.

My only disappointment is that I haven’t been invited back next month.  I’m going to mention that in my thank you email to the host and see if I can get invited back.  It seemed like a group I’d fit into well.  A very eclectic mix of people. 

One lady brought her tan featherweight.  It’s the first one I’d seen first hand.  What a rare beauty.

While I was at the bee, Rob and Syd took the dogs to the vet and ran errands and did stuff that dad’s and daughters need to do to keep up with life, including having lunch together, and when I got home, I was fired up to sew. 

I spent a lot of time working on my little hexie project. 

100_5434

I got the first neutral border all the way around the center and two border sections pieced.  Around and around and around I will go and where I stop, nobody knows. 

I have at least the next two borders planned out in my mind.  Of course, Bonnie’s been working on hers on the flight to Ireland, so there’s no telling what progress she’s made that I’ll want to incorporate. 

Yesterday, I spent the wee hours of the morning in the sunroom, listening to book and sewing.  Later, as the sun came up, it was garden chores and then shopping and a Goodwill dropoff…no nothing from the sewing room, but a good sized load of stuff we don’t need anymore.  After that, I made a casserole and a key lime pie and some bran muffins. 

One day, I’ll write an ode to my bran muffin recipe.  I’ve been perfecting one and am very happy to have bran muffins on a regular basis.  As is my colon.

I enjoyed being involved last week; both in guild and bee.  And, I hope to keep my momentum up and join in more.  I’ve noticed that Sydney doesn’t have any plans to get out and be with any friends this summer.  When she came to live with us, we pulled inward and taught her what it was like to be part of a family.  But, now it’s time to teach her another lesson; how to be part of a community.  And, the only way I can teach that is to do that. 

So, here’s to being involved and spending more time outside my sewing room. 

Be well.  Have a great Monday.  Lane

7 comments:

lindaroo said...

Mmmm, I look forward to you sharing that bran muffin recipe. The ones I've tried are dry, or too heavy.
I'm an introvert with a big, bold facade in public. I need my quiet times at home to stay peaceful, but I'm glad I've found ways to connect with others, too. It's taken a lifetime to figure it out, Sydney's going to be well-equipped for her adult life.

Marei said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Lane. I usually get a chuckle...if not an outright guffaw, and I always get something to ponder. Today it's your statement about being a part of a community. I agree completely with you that (1) we all need to learn to be a part of a community and (2) the way to teach it is to do it, live it, be it. Hope you're having a great Monday.

lw said...

I look forward to your muffin recipe. And if I were part of that quilting group, I'd invite you back if only just to see what you're working on.

Churn Dash said...

Do you need an invitation to go back? You might be expected back.
The first retreat I went to I took my machine and got lots done. I met two people who became good friends. One took a quilt to sew down the binding, the other was cutting out a quilt. I was so glad I went, they became really good friends.
My younger son graduated highschool on Saturday. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about that! I love to hear how Sydney adapts to your family and the life she will lead as she grows up.

Coloradolady said...

I agree with Churn Dash, I bet you are expected back, and I can not imagine having to be invited back, that is sorta strange.

Sometimes, I think I need to email you some of the hard things I am dealing with and let you give me the advice and wisdom on how to handle it. But then I can't imaging dumping all of that on someone else! You always seem to have the answers and are always spot on. Good for you. And great for Sydney. I wish I had parents like you and Rob, but I think I have told you that before!

don't worry about an invite..I say just show up!

qltmom9 said...

You are invited to my little quilting party. Every Thursday evening 5-6 of us meet. Yes, Syd's seeing YOU deal with relationships shows her how to deal with it herself. My kids LOVE Mom having a life. It was hard for me to leave them and get out there, but it's been good for us all.
Lucy~

Carla said...

I agree with the others if you went to the Bee the first time then you probably are expected to just show up at the appointed meeting time and place in the future. I hope as you left they said "hope to see you again".
We have one guy in the Bee I belong too and we've actually had several men recently join the guild. We all love our fabric. ;o)