When she came to us, Sydney had the clothes on her back, a nightgown and 6 new pair of undies. So, while creating a space for her to feel comfortable in was important, it still had to be cheap. So, we bought one of those bed in a bag thingies with curtains and sheers and valance and comforter and shams and bedskirt and sheets and cases for about $30 so you can imagine the high quality of it. This year, it was time to get her something better. I had the moda charm pack and she liked it and I bought the layer cake and the blue print for the border and back because it was cheap. I pieced and quilted the whole thing in 3 weeks. That part was done by cmas. The, I made the shams and later the curtains and valance. That just left the bedskirt.
My mentor had given me a whole bolt of the eyelet. I used one of the fancy stitches on my machine for a hem and used paper as a stabilizer. I tore off the paper and cut along the outside of that scalloped edge, then made a strip about 8 miles long and 14.5" wide and then ran it through the ruffler foot from one of the old singers. I was about sick and tired of working on it when I remembered I have a serger and I managed to do all the rest in a couple of hours, serging all the edges. (The part between the matress and spring is a piece of dark brown poly blend that I got at an estate sale. I knew I'd find a use for that 25 cent piece of fabric. I got a bunch of bundles for a dollar each. Each bundle had 4 pieces of fabric and and one or two pieces from each bundle were poly/cotton blend. . The shortest piece was a red that was 4 yards long. YEAH bargain!)
Now I'm off to make a pot of chicken soup. My best friend is having surgery next week and I'm feeding she and her 20 year old son. Tomorrow, I'll make a couple of small lasagnas and a couple of quiche. I'll pick up a roast, but wait until next weekend to make it. And, everything I make, I'll make enough that my family can get half of. I think I can make this work with a minimum of extra work.
See ya' round the web. Lane