11/22/13

Still marking

I’ve used a lot of things to mark quilt; dishes, tape, pens and pencils.  Now, I’m using post it notes.

100_6234

They have a sticky side…well new ones do.  I’ve about worn this pair out.  I marked registration lines on them that I can line up with the seamlines of the blocks and they stick just enough and are just stiff enough to be eaisly movable. 

It sure beats marking all those lines with a pencil.  Sew the line, move the post it, sew another line, move the post it.  You can see from the picture that its’ working out pretty good, too.

It’s cold here.  It is as warm right now as it’s going to be all day.  And, it’s drippy rain.  It would have been a great day to stay home and quilt.  But, I’m taking time off for the holiday next week, so I need to knock some stuff out in the next three days.

Everybody have a great Friday.  Stay warm.  Stay dry.  Be well.

Lane

6 comments:

lw said...

I never thought of using post-its, but the low residue adhesive makes it a good option if you don't want to leave anything behind.

I will be trying your paper piecing method this weekend, I'll get back to you on it. I am making paper-pieced stars for the border of my crumb quilt. Due to the sheer size of the quilt (king) and the problem of spending so much time commuting to work and losing most of my skill, I will be paying someone with a longarm machine to quilt it for me. I just need to find someone...Wanda Rains retired at Rainy Day Quilts, which breaks my heart though I'm glad for her.

Unknown said...

I hate to say how long it has been since I have even sat at my machine! I have really been missing it though and will have to devote some time for myself and my lonely machine. Hope all of you are well.

Lakegaldonna said...

Hi Lane

Your quilting looks really great. The post it's a a good idea that I will file away for my next quilting project.

How do you do your start and stops? A few it'sy bitsy stitches on the start and stop?

mssewcrazy said...

Love the idea of the post it note marking. I have only quilted in the ditch and along marked lines on fabric sandwiches. The posts that you do on the marking are really helpful to me as I want to try some machine quilting eventually. I think you should write a quilting book with all the photos for those of us who are clueless about what to do besides following a line. Any way thanks for sharing on the machine quilting hows.

Rebecca Grace said...

Okay, now I need a video tutorial because I'm not following how you are using the Post-It notes.

Speaking of marking, I finally, FINALLY bought myself an assortment of the Frixion pens that so many quilters have been raving about, despite my misgivings about them and hearing that sometimes marks reappear in cold weather or in the freezer(?!). And then today on a Yahoo group I read a message from a panicked woman whose Frixion pen marks turned WHITE on her Kona black fabric when she ironed them, instead of disappearing as expected, and then several other people chimed in and said the same thing had happened to them... Ugh! I will NEVER find a safe marker! It's a wonder there are not more quilter suicides! Can you imagine those quilters in the 1930s or whenever it was that experts were recommending the new ballpoint pens for marking quilts instead of pencil?

Elizabeth said...

I've loved watching your progress the last few weeks. This is a clever way to mark, as was the lattice on the border, which turned out beautifully, IMHO.

Have a great weekend!

xo -E