4/17/14

Customer Service

I think Rob and I have spent a total of two and a half hours on the phone, trying to get internet back.  Whatever it is, it happened between 6 am and 8 am, day before yesterday.  And they cannot figure it out.  So, I'm at home tomorrow morning to wait for the repairman to show.  Yay, me...

Fortunately, we have insurance on our wiring, so it's not going to cost us anything.

Rob is so good at customer service.  The time I spent yesterday morning was polite and when I got frustrated, I thanked the guy and got off the phone.  Then, Rob kicked in and I listened to him talk to a lady for at least an hour last night and they joked and laughed and talked like they were old friends.  And, when they were done, he asked her to transfer him to her manager, so he could tell what a great job the rep had done. 

I wish I was like that.  I get frustrated and can't just keep trying things over and over to try to solve the problem. 

He's my customer service hero.

Yes, I'm quilting.  And, no, I can't upload pictures.  But, you're going to be surprised to see how far it's gotten in very little time.  Last night, Sydney and I were talking about it. 

Okay, so even as I write that, I am astounded.  Suddenly she's gotten so easy to get along with and so happy and jolly.  And, interested in me and what I have going on.  What's wrong?  Who is she and what has she done with my surly, grumpy teen that just wants to be left alone? 

And, can she stay?  We don't really need that surly grumpy one back.  We're happy with the substitution, so if aliens have abducted her and replaced her with a pleasant clone, we're good with that, okay?  No take-backs!

Anyway, we were talking about what I was going to quilt around the house and she had the perfect idea.  It might have been her first ever perfect design idea. 

It brought a tear to my eye.

She and I are both off tomorrow.  She wailed "Nooooooo!" when she found out we could spend the whole day together.  She has vowed to lock herself in her room and only come out to tell me when she is hungry. 

Fat lotta good that will do her.  I'm off, too!

Everybody have a great Thursday.  My boss's big meeting is this afternoon; the one we've all been getting ready for.  Hopefully, next week, we'll get to some "normal" at work, whatever that is.

Be well and I hope to have internet back tomorrow.  Me?  I plan to spend my day off putting together a shirt I cut out a month ago.

Lane

6 comments:

Kath said...

we are so alike Lane. I am useless in these situations. I either get cross or emotional, so I leave it to my husband, who is like Rob and keeps his cool.
Sorry, but I didn't half chuckle at Sydney's reaction to your shared day off :-D

Elizabeth said...

If you make sure to reward the positive behavior, Happy, easy-to-get-along-with Sydney will stay :).

Customer Support . . . You have to be a special kind of person to do that job. So glad Rob is good at negotiating. I wish I had that skill. I hope your internet is back up soon.

xo -E

Anonymous said...

Don't even entertain the thought of trading back. Just enjoy what you have and do something especially nice for her. I think its Spring, cause Ab has been the same way. Can't wait to see the silk quilt from the front. Wish you well at work. The suggestion for R's b'day was wonderful. lum

Chris said...

Hi Lane, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day and a Happy Easter. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Rebecca Grace said...

You know, my husband is like Rob that way, and I'm like you. My blood pressure goes through the roof when I find myself listening to hold music for 40 minutes and then talking to someone who barely speaks English but swears her name is Mary, and who has neither the expertise, the ability, nor the willingness to solve my problem. Then Bernie gets on the phone and they are cracking jokes with one another and having a grand old time, solving whatever problem like it was nothing. I am so grateful to be able to pass off the phone to him!!

Unknown said...

It's really important to have good characteristics and patience when dealing with people. I think Ron possesses those abilities, and that is really admirable. One key factor in customer service is flexibility, because every person has different personalities. You need to handle your emotions and try to understand your client, no matter what. Anyway, I'm so glad that everything turned out well. Thanks for sharing that, Lane! All the best!

Tom Coshow @ Tele Direct